Tuesday, September 24, 2013

How I go about my menu planning....

I got to thinking recently that I share my meal plans pretty regularly, but it might be useful for someone new to menu planning to understand my process...  So.  This is how we do.


There are a few things that I consider before I start willy-nilly picking out recipes for the week:

  • What to we have that needs to be used?
    • This means checking the fridge, freezer and the pantry
  • What is on sale and/or in season right now that I'd like to take advantage of?
    • This covers seasonal cravings like pot roast, too...
  • What does my family's schedule look like this week?
    • ...do either of the girls have Girl Scouts?  Do I have any meetings about school functions?  What does my husband's work schedule look like this week?  ...soup and salad or leftovers are usually on the menu on these nights.
  • What will my family want to eat this week?
    • I usually give my husband a few choices (i.e. pork chops or chicken legs?);  the kids are easier --pizza night is mostly for them


...So, this is what it might look like when I'm getting started:

Monday:  me- daytime meeting (this one really wasn't a big time-eater, but it's good to be prepared and avoid planning something huge that could require a lot of prep)
Tuesday:
Wednesday:  husband closes (my free night!!!  I can make anything I want to because the family's picky eater wont be here to complain about it!)
Thursday:  Moo Girl Scouts (when either of the girls have scouts, they need to eat early...  this could mean a sandwich before scouts and a snack after)
Friday:  pizza night (every Friday)
Saturday:  husband closes (another free night!)
Sunday:  husband off (I usually do my best to make something he won't hate)


...Now, I start filling in with our "usuals":


Monday:  me- daytime meeting
Tuesday:
Wednesday:  husband closes
Thursday:  Moo Girl Scouts
Friday:  pizza night
Saturday:  leftovers (having leftovers on Saturday gives us a little more time to play as a family)
Sunday:  soup and salad (same idea as above...  soup and salad=easy meal)



...Next, I check out Pinterest and choose from my recipe boards based on what we have and what we want to eat and fill in the blanks...


Monday:  Honey mustard pork chops (we had chops in the freezer, and the honey mustard chop recipe is one of my family's favorites)
Tuesday:  Roasted chicken (I had enough time to make my go-to chicken recipe)
Wednesday:  Quinoa chili (husband is working, which means I can make chili [that he's not a fan of but the rest of us love])
Thursday:  Curry chicken salad (made with leftover chicken, and nice and easy for a irl Scout meeting night)
Friday:  pizza night
Saturday:  leftovers (having leftovers on Saturday gives us a little more time to play as a family)
Sunday:  soup and salad (same idea as above...  soup and salad=easy meal)



I know that this looks wordy, but it all makes sense in my head...

Please, let me know what you think...
Did this help you?
Do you/will you menu plan?

No comments:

Post a Comment