Monday, March 11, 2013

This week's menu... plus, a little somethin' for you!

So, I think I'm going to make this a weekly thing...  I mean, I plan our menus weekly anyway and this made it really easy to find my recipes when I was actually ready to cook.  Hopefully you find this helpful as well.

I followed through on most of last week's menu...  with a little rearranging, but that's okay.  Life ne'er  works out as planned, right?  I didn't get around to the cottage pie, so that'll be tonight's dinner.  I also wasn't able to make the quinoa granola 'cause the store was out of unsweetened flaked coconut.  Total bummer.  I contemplated just using the standard sweetened stuff but I think that would make it too sticky-sweet.  So I'll check the store for coconut again when I go next.  No biggie.  And the horchata?  well, I spaced it out...  so that'll have to be added to my list again, too...


This week's menu:

Monday- cottage pie (inspired by these recipes from: New Paradigm Health Cookery, myrecipes.com and marthastewart.com)

Tuesday- Lentils that my mom made for us (recipe from...  I'm not sure where.  Go ask my mom if you want to know, haha) and some baby spinach with a little Marzetti roasted garlic Italian vinaigrette (my current FAVORITE dressing...  so yummy and a little goes a long way!)

Wednesday- summer spaghetti, minus the chicken (from goddessofscrumptiousness.tumblr.com)

Thursday- Honey mustard pork chops with whatever veggie we have on hand (from about.com...  this is one of our family favorites- it's sooo goood!)

Friday- Pizza night!

Saturday- Leftovers....  or maybe going out...  

Sunday- CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE!!!!  Yeeeeah, boyeeee!!!!

...Other things I'd like to make this week:

coconut quinoa granola...  provided I can find the right coconut.

horchata...  provided I don't space it out again.

more bread...  'cause it's delicious.

creme caramel (from foodwishes)...  it just looks awesome.

~~~~~~~~~~
BONUS "SURPRISE" RECIPE!!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~


Cottage pie, yo!

3 shallots or 1 medium onion, plus one clove of garlic
4 stalks of celery, rinsed
5 medium carrots, scrubbed
2 small turnips, washed and peeled
2 medium parsnips, washed and peeled

1 package baby bella or button mushrooms, wiped clean
a few sprigs of fresh thyme
a sprinkle of summer savory
sea salt or kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper

1 cup stout beer, such as Guinness
2 Tbsp tomato paste (optional)

about 2 Tbsp olive oil for cooking

4 red or russet potatoes, washed and peeled

Preheat oven to 400°

Roughly dice the first five ingredients.  Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add vegetables and toss to coat in oil.  While those veggies are cooking, very roughly chop the mushrooms (seriously, put 'em on the cutting board and whack 'em a few times with your knife...  carefully). 

When the shallots (or onions) are translucent and the other veggies are starting to look toasty and smell delicious, add the mushrooms to the mix and let them sit just until they start to sweat.  Dump in the beer and stir in the tomato paste (if you're using it...  I didn't this time) and season to taste with fresh thyme, summer savory, salt and pepper.  Let it simmer and cook off the alcohol; the sauce will thicken a bit.

While all of this is going on, slice your potatoes super thin - think potato chips.

When the sauce has thickened a little bit, turn off the heat (transfer to a casserole dish at this point if your skillet isn't oven safe) and flatten out the veggie mixture.  Top with a single layer of potatoes, drizzle (or spray) with a little olive oil (or butter if you want, but I'm watching calories) and season with a little more salt and pepper.

Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.  Broil for a couple of minutes to add a little color if needed (but watch it closely).

Enjoy!



.....You could easily add ground beef or lamb (YUM) to this recipe.  Try changing up the veggies, too! I'm going to try it with some peas next time, they would add the perfect pop of sweetness to this dish!

What's on your menu this week?  Please let me know how you like this recipe if you try it!

1 comment:

  1. In case any of you are interested, here's the link to the lentils that my mom (Kitty Gramma) made: http://pinchofyum.com/red-curry-lentils

    ReplyDelete